Everybody wants to look better and feel healthier. Of course exercising regularly and a healthy diet will go a long way towards these goals. While exercise and diet are two important factors in achieving the body type and overall well-being you desire, there are still some things out there that can give you that extra little boost that you may be missing. Here are 5 wonderful supplements that help promote a healthier and better looking you.
Probiotics are actually tiny bacteria and although the idea of intentionally consuming bacteria may not seem all that appealing, it can actually be quite beneficial to your health.
• What it helps – Probiotics have been recommended for many gastrointestinal issues including Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, keeping pathogens in check, contributing to immune function, and aiding in digestion and nutrient absorption. Also helps restore microflora in women which can be helpful for yeast infections and urinary tract infections.
• Risks/Warnings – Probiotics are comprised of things that are regularly present in a normal digestive system which makes them generally regarded as safe. However, you do want to pay attention to the way in which the probiotic is delivered. Stomach acid is very powerful and, in the case of some probiotic supplements, can kill off most or all of the good bacteria you need before it reaches your small intestine. Make sure to get only probiotics with a controlled-release technology.
2. Raspberry Ketones
Raspberry ketones are the natural compound found in raspberries that give them their taste and smell. They are a weight-loss supplement that is also commonly used for food additives and perfume. Raspberry ketones were recently endorsed by Dr. Oz as a weight-loss supplement.
• What it helps – Raspberry ketones are believed to help break down fat cells and especially burn fat that builds up in the liver. Studies have also shown that raspberry ketones can lower cholesterol and increase sensitivity to insulin.
• Risks/Warnings –FDA rates raspberry ketones as GRAS(generally recognized as safe), but it does not deny or support their weight-loss claim.
3. Fiber Supplements
Fiber supplements are traditionally made from functional fibers. Functional fibers are extracted from plants or animals and are beneficial to humans. Fiber supplements come in many different forms including; powder, capsules, and chewable tablets.
• What it helps – Soluble fiber slows digestion and can lower cholesterol while insoluble fiber keeps your digestive system on track and moving regularly. Also, high fiber intakes were associated with a lower occurrence of stroke in men.
• Risk/Warnings – Sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad and too high of an intake of fiber can cause abdominal discomfort, gas, and bloating.
4. Green Coffee Extract
Green coffee extractis simply an extract created from coffee beans that have not been roasted. Before coffee beans are roasted they are green, and hence the name “green coffee extract”. This is another supplement that has been championed by Dr. Oz.
• What it helps – Weight-loss supplement that has been successful in helping people shed pounds in multiple studies including the most famous study that was conducted on The Dr. Oz Show. Green coffee extract contains chlorogenic acid which has been shown to speed up metabolism, hinder glucose from forming in the liver, and decrease the amount of fat absorbed.
• Risks/Warnings – Children and pregnant women should not take, as there have not been any studies on the effects green coffee extract may have on these groups.
Glucosamine is a natural chemical compound that is found in the body’s joint cartilage. Glucosamine’s job is to keep joints healthy and lubricated. Although glucosamine is naturally found in the body, its levels decline with age and that is why you may need to compensate for that with a supplement.
• What it helps – Glucosamine has been shown to help with the pain associated with osteoarthritis in the knees. There is also evidence that glucosamine sulfate supplements can help counteract the natural deterioration of joints over time.
• Risks/Warnings –Glucosamine is generally regarded as a safe supplement among the medical community. It is recommended to be taken with a meal as failing to do so could result in an upset stomach.
While there are many different kinds of supplements and vitamins out there, these are five supplements that stand out and are effective. These supplements, when combined together; can promote a healthy lifestyle, reduce pain and cure ailments, and contribute to an overall healthier you. Of course, exercising regularly accompanied by a healthy diet will always help too.
Melody Reed loves to make her own chia seed drinks with kombucha tea and write about healthy living. She currently works with Eden Pond who provides health supplements